Important information for patients who need to submit a Certificate of Fitness (commonly known as a “Medical Certificate”)
To alleviate pressure on the health system in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, temporary measures have been put in place for licence holders required to submit a Certificate of Fitness.
These measures are dependent on the licence class and type of medical condition (if any) with a continued concern for road safety.
Certificate of Fitness due dates will be extended for the following:
- Licence holders of class C, R, RD or LR will have their Certificate of Fitness due date extended by 6 months
- Licence holders of class MR, HR, HC, or MC or a driver accreditation, without a medical condition, will have their Certificate of Fitness due date extended by 12 months
- All licence holders of class C and are 75 years and older who complete a self-assessment, will have their self-assessment due date extended by 12 months.
If you fall within one of the above categories, you do not need to take any action at this time. You will receive advice when your next Certificate of Fitness is due.
A Certificate of Fitness is still required to be submitted in the following circumstances:
- Licence holders of class MR, HR, HC or MC, or with a driver accreditation, who have a medical condition
- Any licence holder whom a medical professional or SAPOL has advised is not medically fit to drive.
In the above instances, you will still receive a Certificate of Fitness in the post. Once your Certificate is received please make an appointment with your health professional and submit the certificate.
A Certificate of Fitness will also be required in the following circumstances:
- Patients with a licence under suspension subject to a certificate/medical advice being submitted
- A new applicant for a driver accreditation.
If your licence is suspended or you are applying for a new driver accreditation you can download a light vehicle or heavy vehicle/driver accreditation certificate to have completed by your health professional.
If you have questions or need assistance, please call Service SA on 13 10 84.